Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Costume making

It has been a busy couple of months with study for the costume course and a few extras. We have to do an industry placement and I have been working with Mr Peter Rigby who is a well known Wellington character and Tailor to make a jacket for a member of Alf's Imperial Army. Each week I have been going over to the Hutt Valley to learn how to do the next step in making the jacket. I have never made a mans jacket before so I have been learning about shoulder pads and sleeve head caps!

The jacket is pretty lurid and has strange badges and buttons but I have learned a lot about its construction and fitting. pretty much every seam has been unpicked and resewn at least twice! Unfotunately I don't have a male mannekin so it doesn't show how fitted it is (I tried it on my son but he is so skinny it looked ridiculous).

As part of the course I have also made a corset and combinations and am in the process of designing and making costumes for dance. After that a few of us will start making enormous hats for a show in May.

Not much time for quilting but I will be teaching at the quilt symposium in Queenstown so am making class samples and writing notes for a new class on Sashiko stitching.

4 comments:

  1. Informative article on how textile industry is deeply connected with costume designing.
    dean graziosi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Have you heard of Duct Tape Mannequin? If not google it and you can make your own Mannequin.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Leeann, I have seen the duct tape mannekin articles but I have never considered making a male mannekin. I wonder if my son will stay still for long enough!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, this is in every respect what I need to know. Thank you, Wellington Tutoring it's very interesting. I wish you all the best and every success in future.

    ReplyDelete