Monday, September 17, 2012

Google Earth art

I have 6 weeks to come up with a second 'body of work' (i.e not just one piece) on my theme of water pollution, for the end of year show which is a group exhibition at Pataka in Porirua.

I've been so busy writing essays that I haven't had a chance to think of what to make but today is the day for brainstorming and making some samples - which i have to show on Friday.

In the meantime I am getting distracted by pictures.



The Yangtse river in China has been running red this week. Apparently it often has an orange or brown silty colour but this is a much more unnatural red. Check out the pictures in the Telegraph and BusinessWeek

There is speculation that it could be illegal dumping of dyes, some say it is just natural rusty water from iron ore and some think it might have something to do with the major earthquakes that happened just before. No one seems to know whether this is a natural phenomena or something synthetic but I'm glad I don't have to drink the water or eat the fish. This article in the Huffington Post is sensible.

Now I am getting further distracted by art which uses Google maps. This website by Jenny Odell led me to the carved books of Guy Laramee.

No comments:

Post a Comment