Monday, May 3, 2010

Day 4 japan trip, Nikko and Tokyo

We had a half day in Nikko and managed to see a few more temples then on the way back to the station we came across an antique/junk shop which sold sewing boxes, needles, old Kokeshi dolls (a bit heavy to carry) and some wonderful woodblock prints (Ukiyo-e). I really would have liked to have bought this print which shows the railway in Yokohama (possibly the opening of the line) and Japanese men wearing western clothing. I'm not sure if these woodcuts show rich people or royalty. I tried to find more of the woodcuts in the museums and galleries in Yokohama but I only found a few and although there used to be a print museum, according to Tourist Information office, it is now closed.  There is more information on the railway in Japan at this website, Yokohama station was opened in 1872. The prints I found in Yokohama were by Hiroshige II, a pupil of Hiroshige.

Also that day I managed to get to Roppongi Hills in Tokyo but wandered around in circles not quite realising that the shopping centre was inside the building I had walked around. I was trying to find a particlular shop without having the address or any sort of instructions about how to get there. I won't do that again. I did see some interesting architecture. This is a TV station building.

No comments:

Post a Comment