Friday, March 26, 2010

Thursday 25th - Day 19 - Field trip wellington

If you aren't a local then here are a few textile related places to visit in Wellington. 

On Thursday 26th March, I went around a few local galleries and shops with some of the Whitireia students. We went to Weta Cave which has opened in Wellington to show some of the props, books and costumes from the movies made at Weta Studios. 3 bus-loads of tourists arrived in the short time we were there so it is very popular and hopefully will be extended in the future to show more items.

Then we went to Asia Gallery in Kilbirnie to check out the fabrics, stencils and kimono. Paul, the owner kindly drew me a map of where the fabric stalls are at the two big flea markets in Kyoto on the 21st and 25th of each month. I have arranged my next trip to Kyoto to coincide with both this time. We leave on the 6th of April so not long to wait now.

Then we went to Minerva Gallery in Cuba St which is the headquarters of New Zealand Quilter magazine and has the best range of textile books in New Zealand. I managed to get out without buying anything more than one Fiberarts magazine which has a great article about the quilts of Diane Savona. Diane emailed me a few weeks ago to say she liked my 'Layers of Lives' quilts. I looked at her website and saw that she and I have been on the same path, using layers of clothes but Diane has carried this way further than I have even considered. She calls her quilts 'Closet Archaeology'. I think they are wonderful and wish I had thought of using solid items under the fabric. Fantastic.

No comments:

Post a Comment